As Facebook recently announced to build their Metaverse which will comprise massive GPU-driven supercomputers & high-powered cloud services, the term Metaverse became a hot topic in no time. Other companies are also thinking of constructing such a virtual universe.
But a virtual universe like Metaverse will require lots of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) models and algorithms along with computational power. This article will take you through a not so virtual tour of how AI and ML will drive and scale the Metaverse from different perspectives.
What is Metaverse?
A Metaverse is a virtual 3D world where users can buy land, own a shop, socialize with people, play games, and much more. It is a simulated digital environment where people can do all the stuff they can do in the real or physical world.
Most of the payments and transactions will get accomplished via cryptocurrencies; owning properties and assets will be blockchain-driven & through NFTs, and developing all the digital environments and applications will require AI and ML. Again, all the interactions will require VR headsets and wearables.
In other words, the main motive of Metaverse is to render a space wherein users can witness and feel the interactions that mimic that of the real world. The science-fiction writer Neal Stephenson first coined the term Metaverse in the early ’90s. Gradually, different companies like Second Life, Microsoft, Decentraland, and most recently Meta adopted this concept and decided to make this really big.
According to GlobeNewswire‘s reports, the Metaverse market is worth 21.91 billion USD in 2020. As per their prediction, it will grow at 41.7 percent CAGR by 2030. Let us now witness the different angles of how artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) can help scale this massive thought. The next generation of people will use Metaverse in:
- Gaming Business
- Virtual E-commerce
- Immersive Social Media
- Immersive showroom
- Online immersive virtual meeting
- Web 3.0
- Immersive NFT
- The virtual reality healthcare system
- Immersive Simulation of molecular composition, etc.
Role of AI and Machine Learning in Scaling the Metaverse
Companies like Facebook and Microsoft have already set up and started phase-1 of the artificial intelligence Research Super-Cluster (RSC) online. Researchers and AI developers have started training artificial intelligence and machine learning models into different fields of Metaverse creation.
- Data storage if each individual requires automated predictive analytics: Storing the tremendous amount of data about people, such as their interaction with the virtual & simulated environment, will require massive data centers and cloud-based storage.
- Allotting and managing such data storage requires artificial intelligence and machine learning models that can understand the requirement of the user in advance and predict how much storage the user will consume with time. Through this, the Metaverse provider can scale the storage without human intervention.
- Regulate the use of massive bandwidth: As we all know, if a game has rich graphics, it eats up more bandwidth. So, imagine rendering such a massive world with rich interactive graphics will require immense bandwidth. For that, 5G technology can help. To sync the users’ network speed to that of the servers or supercomputers running the Metaverse, ML will cater to a significant role.
- ML, together with the statistical method, can enable different Metaverse systems connected with the supercomputers to work in close tandem for better user interactions. It will allow users to experience proper virtual simulation without lags & glitches.
- AIOps in scaling the Metaverse efficiently: Artificial Intelligence for IT Operations (AIOps) are operations that help operate extensive corporate infrastructure through AI technologies. As per the prediction of Coinbase, Metaverse is a massive system or project that requires intelligent scalability & processing. That is where AIOps will play a significant role in managing the infrastructure necessary to run the Metaverse.
- It will add algorithm-driven savvy intelligence to software, hardware, and communication productivity. According to Gartner, Metaverse will implement AIOps by combining Machine Learning & Big Data to automate various tasks such as event correlations, virtual collaboration, anomaly detection, etc. With the availability of all these technologies, Metaverse can render robust infrastructure and get efficient through AI-driven insights on processes and operations.
- Inclusive interface and realistic accessibility: One key aspect that will revolutionize the Metaverse industry is the promise of rendering a remarkably great immersive experience. It will help enhance socializing virtually and interaction with people in that virtual world. But people with disability or people who do not have those digital capabilities will eventually find themselves out of this digital ecosystem. To render these groups of people the same realistic capabilities of Metaverse, AI will play an influential role. AI will cater to image recognition abilities for people with visual disabilities, automatic translations for those who are not familiar with different languages apart from their native language, and a brain-computer interface for more disabled ones. With the absolute advent of the Metaverse, exoskeletons will be a solution; companies will sell for disabled people who are willing to experience the Metaverse.
There are endless possibilities where artificial intelligence, machine learning, and deep learning can work in close tandem with Metaverse. Right from intelligent networking to high-end intelligent GPU processing – everything in the Metaverse will run on AI & AI-based technologies. Social media and gaming companies will also use Metaverse technology to drive their business through immersive technologies. Gaming companies will cater to the hyper-personalized gaming experience by understanding human behavior towards a game & will use machine learning to automatically leverage player data and change the difficulty level or ecosystem of the Metaverse game as per user mood.
This article only caters to some ideas that artificial intelligence can bestow over Metaverse as a boon. Although this article is only scratching the surface, the potential is limitless. With the growth of artificial intelligence and its branches like machine learning, neural network, natural language processing, deep learning, the prospects will extrapolate to significant heights.