Canada has been attracting a lot of students from diverse cultures and nations. You must complete the Canada study permit application to study in the country. A study permit authorizes international students to study at Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) in Canada.
A foreign national desiring to apply for a study permit should be aware that various requirements must be met while submitting the study permit application. Students must apply for a Canadian temporary visa with supporting documents.
Canada, with its educational facilities, offers numerous research opportunities with affordable education. Tuition fees vary by institution, but the cost is generally more affordable when compared to other countries. The prospect of immigration possibilities is also another factor.
Be Ready with Your Documents:
- Letter of Acceptance: You should have a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- Identity Proof: This includes the passport or a valid travel document.
- Monetary Backup: You need to have proof that you have enough money to pay for your living, academic fees, and transportation during your entire stay in Canada.
- Statement from students that they will leave Canada once they complete their course.
- If you plan to study in Quebec, a valid certificate d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) or a letter of approval for your CAQ should be provided.
- Supporting documents: Various documentation must be submitted with all study permit applications, which can vary from country to country. It is advisable to consult the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website to determine the documents.
Duration of Stay in Canada with a Study Permit
Usually, the length of a study permit is valid for the length of your study program with an additional 90 days. The 90 days are set so that you can prepare to leave Canada or extend your stay by applying.
Reasons for Refusal
- Not enough monetary proof to support yourself while studying in Canada.
- If you cannot convince your visa officer that you’ll leave Canada at the end of your study period.
- If you failed your medical exam
- Incomplete documents.
Canadian Temporary Visa
You will have to apply for a Canadian temporary visa for your stay. This is only possible after you get the college acceptance letter. The visa for students is a combination of either a visitor visa and a study permit or an Eta (Electronic Travel Authorization) and a study permit. A Canada study visa permit will allow you to stay in Canada until your program ends and work in some cases while you are enrolled in school or work after you graduate. You’ll need the following documents:
- Valid Passport: You must have a valid passport covering the intended stay in Canada.
- Proof of Acceptance by a DIL: A Designated Learning Institute is a university recognized by the Immigration Department. For Quebec, you need a CAQ, which would be duly notified.
- Proof of Funds: You will be required to show that you have funds to pay your tuition and living expenses.
- Statement of Purpose: You need to submit an essay stating the purpose of your trip to Canada and the reason for choosing the particular institution.
- Immigration Medical Examination: Canadian immigration requires a medical examination. You need a health checkup done and have a medical certificate that certifies that you are in good health.
- Passport Size Photographs: You’ll need to submit recent passport size photographs that meet the Canada Photo Requirements.
- Leave Canada once the permit expires: You have to leave Canada once your study permit expires.
For studying in Canada, a student should have a valid study permit. The Canadian student visa combines either a visitor visa and a study permit or an Eta and a study permit. If your study permit should expire before completing your studies, then a renewal of your study permit should be made.
Canada attracts lots of students each year from all over the world. With world-class education recognized globally, it gets students from foreign nationals. If you are also part of such a group, you must know where to get your Canada study permit application.
Specific requirements are in place, and it’s best to be informed so that you can process your application without any hiccups. Canada also offers the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which helps international students obtain job experience in Canada after completing their studies.